Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
Tired of the same oatmeal for breakfast? Try something new like this cornmeal porridge, infused with Caribbean spices for a complete warm and comforting breakfast!
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 cups fine-ground cornmeal
- 1 can coconut milk or 1 cup coconut milk powder mix
- 2 cinnamon leaves
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- nutmeg (as desired)
- add VitaClassic syrup as desired
- add unsweetened almond milk as needed to determine consistency
- add condensed milk to taste
- 1 pinch or 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- Mix cornmeal in a container with room temperature water.
- Boil 1 cup water in a saucepan with the salt and cinnamon leaves.
- Mix in cornmeal mixture then reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer while avoiding spattering by stirring the mixture frequently to prevent lumps.
- Add coconut milk and continue stirring. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Add additional liquid such as water or milk to desired consistency.
- Add VitaClassic syrup, vanilla, and nutmeg. Add condensed milk if extra sweetness and creaminess is desired. Serve hot in a bowl. Enjoy!