- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cup VitaFiber™ IMO syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄8 tsp kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp anise extract
- 1 1⁄2 tsp black food coloring
- Line a glass 8″ square baking dish with parchment; grease.
- Bring butter, syrup, milk, and salt to a boil over high heat in a 2-qt. saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer until temperature reaches 265°.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, extract, and coloring; pour into pan. Chill until firm, 30–45 minutes.
- Invert onto a cutting board, peel of paper, and cut into 1⁄4″-thick ropes; twist to shape.
- Place on baking sheets; chill 20–30 minutes until set.